George Ravenshear who purchased Aldbourne priory in 1939, generously gave 8.5 acres and a building, known as Raven Hut, to form a Boy Scout training ground. In 1947 the Ipswich Boy Scout Association purchased a further 11.5 acres of camping ground with welcome assistance from the Ministry of Education.
A year later an additional 18 acres were acquired largely though the generosity of the executors of the late Bernard Pretty who was the chairman of the local Association for many years. As an expression of his pleasure at the growth of the camping ground and fulfilling of the original vision, George Ravenshear rounded off the site with a gift of a further 2 acres.
Approximately 10 acres was then lost to the much needed development of the A14. The site is now approximately 30 acres in size with 10 being a natural woodland.
The new District Headquarters and activity centre were completed with the official opening performance by chief scout Gareth Morrison on 21st April 1990.